Back pain is the most common form of disability for both men and women right across the world. 80% of the community will suffer back pain at some point.
When we heard that statistic, we thought we had to do something about it. There are many things you can do to help relieve back aches and pain including regular stretching, using ice therapy to help reduce swelling or inflammation and of course chiropractic care.
We know that stretching is great to loosen tight muscles, makes you feel good and helps to relieve back pain. Your team at New World Chiro have put together 4 simple stretches you can do right now to help relieve back pain.
Before we get to the stretches, here are the essential facts about back pain causes.
The World Health Organisation recently published a study entitled ‘The Global Burden of Disease Study 2010’ in which back pain is listed at the leading cause of disability for men and women globally.
With this fact in mind, here are some of the top causes of back pain:
- Disc degeneration from mechanical wear and tear (exacerbated by some of the following points)
- Herniated discs and associated muscle spasms, muscle tension and ruptured discs
bending, twisting or lifting improperly causing sprains and fractures
- Sitting for too long. How long do you sit for in a day? The results may surprise you. Sitting for too long over long periods of time can result in tightened and shortened muscles that can cause back pain. This is especially relevant to people with office jobs.
- Acquired health conditions and diseases including osteoporosis, scoliosis, spondylolisthesis and arthritis.
Back Pain Relief with 4 Simple Stretches
1) Glute (butt muscle) stretch
Knee to chest and hold for 1 minute, keeping other leg straight and flat on ground. Your glutes attached to your pelvis thus tight glutes can pull your pelvis out and put pressure on your lower back, causing pain. An important stretch and you’ll never be free from low back pain with said pressure.
2) Hamstring (back of thigh) stretch
You will need a stable prop (chair, bench, post). Stand on one leg and raise other leg to rest on prop. Lean torso forward until you feel a stretch down the back of your leg. A tight hamstring can put pressure on your lower back and can shift pelvic alignment.
3) Quad (front thigh) stretch
While standing on one leg, reach behind and grab your foot. Stay as upright (tall) as possible while pushing down with your legs. Tight thighs can pull your pelvis out in turn putting pressure on your back and can cause knee issues.
4) Back muscle stretch
This stretch is also child’s pose in yoga. While on your knees, lay forward and stretch your hands out in front as far as possible. Try to keep your lower back and butt as low as possible to really stretch out your lower back muscles. Gently does it.
A Chiropractor’s Reflections – QnA with Dr Rosemarie Jabbour (Chiro)
Q) Why is it important to stretch leg muscles if you want to relieve back pain?
A) ” You need to address the underlying cause of back pain. In many cases tight muscles cause pain as they put pressure on your structure and cause spinal misalignments. You need to remove the stress load to reduce further injury.”
Q) Why is Chiropractic a good treatment for back pain?
A) “As a former chiropractor to Australia’s 2000 Olympic team, I understand the connection between function and structure. Olympians actively choose chiropractic over other forms of therapy and over drugs to help reduce pain and maintain spinal alignment. I have over 20 years experience.”
Contact Us Now
We invite you to contact New World Chiro today. You can phone or email the clinic and one of our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.
- Hips Out of Alignment - 28/05/2019
- Tech Neck - 26/03/2019
- Phases of Spinal Degeneration - 11/12/2018
- Will a Chiropractor Help My Pain go Away - 08/08/2018
- Can Medical Doctors Work With Chiropractors - 07/08/2018
- Does Looking at My Phone Give Me a Headache - 05/07/2018
- Common Types of Neck Curves and Neck Curve Problems - 27/10/2017
- Can Chiropractic Help My Back Pain - 28/09/2017
- Chiropractic Quotes to Motivate and Inspire You - 20/06/2017
- Will Taking Magnesium Supplements Reduce Muscle Cramps - 31/05/2017