By Doctor Rosemarie Jabbour (Chiropractor)
At New World Chiro, we understand how important it is to receive a great night sleep. Sleeping is one of the most important functions our body undertakes. Sleeping allows our body to rest, rejuvenate and repair. Our bodies recharge in preparation of tomorrows activities. Surveys (ACA) reveal that between 40 and 60 percent of the general population has trouble sleeping. If this sounds like you, we have some important information and tips to pass on so read on.
There are many reasons why people find it difficult to sleep. Some common causes of sleep problems include:
- stress and emotional turmoil
- body aches and pain (we'll touch on this point in a moment)
- uncomfortable bedding/mattress/pillow
- smart phones and electronic devices that give off bright light
Sleep better with these 8 tips
- Avoid caffeinated drinks in the afternoon and evening. Coffee, cola and tea contain the stimulant caffeine: its effect can last hours.
- Go to bed and get up at the same time each day. This sets up a daily routine to help your body get to sleep at the right time.
- Exercise regularly and at least 2-3 hours before bed. Any later and your increased heart beat can keep you awake.
- Replace your mattress every 8 years. If your mattress slouches in the middle, replace it as it won't support your spine adequately.
- Practice yoga or meditation before you go to sleep. This helps to clear your mind and calms your breathing.
- Try a chiropractic pillow. They are designed to support your neck and head while keeping your spine in alignment.
- If you sleep on your stomach or find it uncomfortable to sleep on your back, this may be a sign that you have an underlying structural issues such as a misalignment along your spine.
- Have your spine and nervous system checked by a chiropractor. If you suffer aches and pain, find it hard to sleep on your back or sleep on your stomach, you may have an underlying structural issue or spinal misalignment. A Doctor of Chiropractic can examine your spine to determine if there is a cause for further investigation and if your sleeping issues may be helped by a series of chiropractic adjustments.
TIP: dim your lights 1 hour before you plan to go to bed. Your body clock is affected by light, so by turning off bright lights your body begins to wind
Consult Our Clinic
At New World Chiro, we understand sleeping. We regularly treat patients who suffer from insomnia and sleep difficulty. If you have trouble sleeping, you may have an underlying structural issue. Chiropractic may help you. Please call or email today.
(02) 9687 4011
- American Chiropractor's Association 'Stop dreaming about sleep and do something' Source: http://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=88