Your spine is one of the most important parts of your body. It serves as your primary structure from which supporting bones connect and it’s the conduit that protects the spinal cord. Most of your nerves pass from your brain, through your spine and out small openings to various muscles, bones and organs.
Think of your spinal column as a busy freeway with lots of ‘on and off’ ramps in peak hour traffic. The on and off ramps represent the nerves that connect to various parts of your body. The vehicles represent your nervous system and its electrical impulses.
Did you know? Your spine consists of 24 moving parts known as vertebrae. There are 23 discs between these vertebrae that act like shock absorbers and allow for movement. 12 rib bones attach to the spine as do hundreds of ligaments and muscles.What happens when I injure my spine?
A SPINAL MISALIGNMENT
Your spine is complex and consists of many moving parts. Various things can easily disrupt its normal functioning.
Any of these disturbances can cause abnormal movement or a misalignment along the spinal structure. This is where chiropractors apply their professional knowledge, skills and experience.
A spinal misalignment can have several possible components:
- Restricted joint movement
- Nerve interference
- Muscle spasm
- Muscle tightness
- Altered blood flow
COMMON INJURIES TO THE SPINE
Common spinal disturbances include:
- Slips, trips and falls
- Incorrect lifting
- Repetitive movements
- Poor posture
- Poor sleeping position
These components may be felt by you as symptoms and can include:
- Tingling, numbness or pins and needles
- Nerve pain
- Pain, including lower back pain, hip and neck pain
- Tight muscles or spasms
- Headaches and migraines
It is common for a person to have a spinal misalignment and not even know. You can have several misalignments of the spine with or without symptoms.
Why is the health of my spine important?
Chiropractic is a form of primary healthcare that concerns itself with the relationship between the structure of the spine and the function of the neuro-musculoskeletal system. Anything detrimental to this relationship may affect the body’s ability to heal and the restoration and preservation of optimal health.
It’s advisable to speak with your health care practitioner about your particular case. We can schedule a consultation so that you can decide if chiropractic is right for you.
TAKE ACTION TODAY!
To book a chiropractic consultation at New World Chiro please phone or email us today.
- Hips Out of Alignment - 28/05/2019
- Tech Neck - 26/03/2019
- Phases of Spinal Degeneration - 11/12/2018
- Will a Chiropractor Help My Pain go Away - 08/08/2018
- Can Medical Doctors Work With Chiropractors - 07/08/2018
- Does Looking at My Phone Give Me a Headache - 05/07/2018
- Common Types of Neck Curves and Neck Curve Problems - 27/10/2017
- Can Chiropractic Help My Back Pain - 28/09/2017
- Chiropractic Quotes to Motivate and Inspire You - 20/06/2017
- Will Taking Magnesium Supplements Reduce Muscle Cramps - 31/05/2017