What is Vertigo?
Vertigo refers to a sense of dizziness or spinning even though you are not moving. The dizzy feeling is caused by one of two factors:
- A dysfunction in the brain, and
- Sensory nerve pathway or an imbalance in the internal organs of the ear that control balance.
The term peripheral vertigo is used to describe inner ear causes whereas central vertigo describes central nervous system causes.
This short video from Scientific American provides a great over view on vertigo.
Source: Scientific American Youtube
Does Chiropractic Help Vertigo?
Chiropractic may help some cases of vertigo. Common symptoms may include dizziness, headaches, nausea and feelings of imbalance. Chiropractic may help address some of the musculoskeletal symptoms commonly experienced in cases of vertigo such as tightness and stiffness in the neck. You can also see your local G.P for diagnosis and treatment.
Vertigo Case Series
The following case series from the Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics looked at the management of benign paroxysmal position vertigo in a chiropractic clinical setting. Eight patients with symptoms of this type of vertigo presented for chiropractic care. The outcome and conclusion is quoted below:
“INTERVENTION AND OUTCOME: The patients underwent one or more canalith repositioning procedures (Epley maneuver). Scores in each of the categories decreased from the initial to 6-day assessment and then again at the 30-day assessment. The effects of the treatment on the Short Form 12 scores showed changes between the initial assessment and 30 days post treatment.
CONCLUSION: The patients in this case series demonstrated reduction in symptoms with management.”
Take Action Today
To book a chiropractic consultation at New World Chiro please phone or email us today. We have a New Patient Consultation to get you started with chiropractic.
- What Exactly Does a Chiropractor Do? - 31/01/2020
- Hips Out of Alignment - 28/05/2019
- Tech Neck - 26/03/2019
- Phases of Spinal Degeneration - 11/12/2018
- Will a Chiropractor Help My Pain go Away - 08/08/2018
- Can Medical Doctors Work With Chiropractors - 07/08/2018
- Does Looking at My Phone Give Me a Headache - 05/07/2018
- Common Types of Neck Curves and Neck Curve Problems - 27/10/2017
- Can Chiropractic Help My Back Pain - 28/09/2017
- Chiropractic Quotes to Motivate and Inspire You - 20/06/2017