Posture is the Window to Your Spine
Posture really is the window to your spine. If you’re crooked on the outside chances are you’ll be crooked on the inside.
Do you know the way we stand, sit and walk affects our health and well being?
When our posture is off, our health is off. Common health problems associated with poor posture include:
- back pain
- muscle tension in some areas
- weak muscles in some areas
- feelings of discomfort and fatigue
This blog lists 8 of the top benefits of good posture. If you know someone who doesn’t have the best posture, do them a favour. Share this page with them – it may make all the difference.
Now, onto the benefits of good posture.
Our Top 8 Posture Benefits
1) LOOK GOOD AND FEEL BETTER
Having good posture helps you feel good. When your spine is in line, your body functions better. A strong structural alignment with your head directly over your shoulders (not in front as this is forward head posture), your shoulders directly over your hips and hips over ankles is the best alignment for health and wellness.
When your posture shifts away from this alignment, problems such as pain, muscle tightness, headaches and discomfort increase.
2) GREAT POSTURE GIVES YOU GREAT CONFIDENCE
Studies show links between height (which comes in part from good posture) and success. Voters view tall people as better suited for leadership, tall people in business are likely to earn more money and most people seem to see tall men as more persuasive, impressive and capable than average.
3) BREATHER DEEPER AND EASIER
Did you know that poor postures such as rounded back posture can reduce lung capacity by as much as 30%? Good posture helps keep the airways open and better facilitates deep breathing. Regular meditation practice also promotes better breathing habits.
4) REDUCE BACK PAIN
Problems arise when your posture shifts away from a natural and neutral alignment. Joints become restricted, range of motion decreases, muscle tension increases and nerve interference can result in symptoms such as back pain. Good posture keeps your spine in line and prevents many of these problems from developing.
5) GOOD POSTURE ENHANCES MOOD
By carrying yourself in an upright manner, you feel more confident, energised and happier.
6) IMPROVES ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
Posture and sports performance are connected. Your body needs to move correctly to perform correctly. If you feel pain while exercising or playing sport, it’s your body telling you something is wrong. Athletes need to ensure their motion system is functioning at optimal levels.
The motion system is made up of three components: 1) connecting (bones, ligaments, tendons, discs), 2) controlling (brain and nervous system) and 3) contracting (muscles). If there is an imbalance in any of these areas movement will be restricted and pain can occur.
7) STRENGTHEN YOUR ABS
A strong core helps maintain good posture and good posture requires a strong core and lower back muscles. Also, strong abs help minimise stress on the lower back, keeping your spine healthier.
8) GOOD POSTURE REDUCES THE RISK OF SUFFERING FROM OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS
By maintaining a healthy spine and nervous system you are less likely to suffer from musculoskeletal injury.
Watch Now: The Benefits of Good Posture
Your posture, the way you hold your body when you’re sitting or standing, is the foundation for every movement your body makes. Watch this brief but powerful TEDtalk on the benefits of good posture and feel inspired to take control of your posture and health!
If you like this video, please share with friends and family.
Take Action Today
It’s never too late to improve your posture and health. To book a chiropractic consultation at New World Chiro please phone or email us today.
- The Guardian ‘Voters view tall people as better suited for leadership’ 18 October 2011 https://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/oct/18/voters-tall-politicians-leadership
- Ice Packs for Back Pain - 01/09/2020
- What Exactly Does a Chiropractor Do? - 31/01/2020
- Hips Out of Alignment - 28/05/2019
- Tech Neck - 26/03/2019
- Phases of Spinal Degeneration - 11/12/2018
- Will a Chiropractor Help My Pain go Away - 08/08/2018
- Can Medical Doctors Work With Chiropractors - 07/08/2018
- Does Looking at My Phone Give Me a Headache - 05/07/2018
- Common Types of Neck Curves and Neck Curve Problems - 27/10/2017
- Can Chiropractic Help My Back Pain - 28/09/2017